Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Public

Post Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:18 pm 

Grab a drink and sit tight. This is going to be a long read, purely aimed at making you ask yourself the right questions and taking away unnecessary doubts. Sure, if we figure out in time that we’ve landed on the wrong server we can transfer again. But it would be easier to get it right the first time!

At the moment, there are 6 EU servers: Gilrain, Eldar, Withywindle, Snowbourn, Laurelin[RP] and Evernight. An approximate division of the population is like this:

Concerning “What If’s”
Quote:
What if they will be nice to incoming transfers on Laurelin?

Quote:
What if they eventually decide not to close Snowy?

No, just no. Forget about what-if’s. We cannot base our decision on pure speculation and ideas that may never ever happen. Take what-if’s as an added bonus, might they happen. After all, Turbine is Turbine, and they may have made up their mind completely and go forward with the plans they have now.

Shortly said: take what Turbine have said as their final thoughts.

Summer plans: hardware and upgrades
Quote:
We are starting with letting the remaining worlds redistribute first to allow players to choose to leave the largest ones if they wish making room for more players and also because we expect to see the smallest number of moves during this stage. Next we will be opening up with the smallest population closing worlds and going up the list from there. The purpose of this is not to overtax the system by allowing everyone to slam into it at once and also so that we can monitor populations. If one of the destination worlds is getting overfull we can provide it with more resources or fix any issues we might run into. We do not expect any of the remaining worlds to be closed to transfers permanently. Once they are all on new hardware they should be capable of handling current population load, but while we work through the process we want to be able to respond and correct appropriately.

[Source: https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread ... ost7412945]

So the hardware should be able to carry the population load. Additionally, the EU servers will move back to Amsterdam and get upgraded hardware. Turbine says this should reduce lag and latency and such.

Short version: Once the servers are all on new hardware they should be capable of handling current population load. No need to worry about that.

Last edited by Carannar on Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:19 pm 

Concerning Laurelin
Laurelin is an EN-RP server. This means there are people running around pretending to be a fully rounded character with a background story etc. These people will be flagged as /rp. This also means there are additional rules, enforced by Turbine even after the merge.
Quote:
No RP rules or statuses are changing on any of the 2 RP and 1 RE worlds.

[Source: https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread ... ost7415901]

These additional rules concern naming policy of characters and what-channels-should-be-in-character. You can read them here:
http://support.turbine.com/link/portal/ ... and-Policy
I would highlight this:
Quote:
If the character name does not abide by the Roleplay Policy, the name may be changed. If the name is changed, no refund will be provided for the Character Rename purchase.

So, you may wonder, why the heck are we considering this? Well, RP servers have the reputation of being more mature and friendly. There will not be any people like XxXroflpwnedXxX running around. From what I’ve seen, they’re mostly friendly, and there’s the added bonus of lower level instances. There are social kins, normal kins, RP kins, raiding kins, PvP kins…

I’ve read quite a few posts from Laurelin-players, and they all say something similar to this.
Quote:
Tirian, and anyone else concerned about role-play:

There is no requirement for people on Laurelin to RP. Indeed, many never do. If you don't want to role-play ever that is fine, it just means not using some channels which are meant to be in character, eg "say". Given that most public conversation is out of character as it happens in "world" and OOC (for PvMP) this isn't a problem. Of course, it would be nice if non-RPers don't grief those who do, but that's not too different to normal civility and respectfulness (which is more prevalent fortunately on LOTRO than some other MMOs). Also, there are naming rules, but I doubt many people on any server want to see the names like Aragawn running around Middle Earth.

There is plenty of non-RP activity on Laurelin. In fact, there is little RP outside of Bree most of the time.

….*snip*…

Being an RP server means that we perhaps have a relatively mature (on the whole) player-base, with lots of people interested in the lore and sharing in the wonders of the world Tolkein created. We have role-play events like dances. Some daft freeps and creeps even had an impromptu conga-line going near Grams a little while back. But if people just want to kill stuff, grind for gear etc, they will find many others with the same approach.

If we decide to transfer to Laurelin, then yes, some of us may have to change names due to the naming policy. Some of us will lose our names due to the active characters. Think about your names, and decide whether you’re willing to part with them.

Last edited by Carannar on Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:20 pm 

Concerning Evernight
Evernight at the moment is a bit like Gilrain. It seems very friendly, people do what they like, trolls (the few of them) are trolled back in a funny way or ignored. Being the current recommended server, there’s loads of low level characters, hence there’s lots of lower level instances.

A post by a player from Evernight: http://lotroplayers.com/2015/08/04/need ... evernight/

Again, some people will have to change names because they’ll already be taken.

It seems the way to go, doesn’t it? Well, read on…

Concerning other servers: Eldar, Withywindle, Snowbourn
The prediction is that most of the EU people will move to Evernight. This now causes doubt amongst some kins, as Snowbourn has a bad reputation (at least amongst us!). Maybe rightfully so, maybe not. I’ve never heard bad things of Eldar, and to a lesser extend Withywindle, though it probably has its rotten apples (as do we) – so I will leave them out of this analysis.

Now, speculate with me for a moment. Say we’re pessimistic and half of Snowy are idiots and trolls. This would mean (going by the chart at the start of my post) that a total of about 3.5% of the EU population would be idiots. Say they all move to Evernight, and that no one moves off Evernight. So 14% of Evernight would be disliked after the transfers.

However, it’s likely to be a smaller percentage. This begs the question: are we not making a big deal out of this? There are, after all, a report button and an ignore button.

Concerning one server being overcrowded: Brandywine[NA] is the biggest server, having about 13% of the world total players. The complaints I see from them are lag (which should be solved with the new hardware), not that areas are too busy. With new quests it may be, you say – yes, but that’s the same on Gilrain!

Last edited by Carannar on Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:21 pm 

Considering housing
Turbine have said (trouble finding the quote right now) that, should the housing areas become too full, they can simply make new ones. Also, the current situation (their words) is not even close to having full housing steads.
We are the second round of transfers, and I don’t think Estel [FR] (the first to transfer) have a big impact. Remember that there are 4 areas with loads of neighbourhoods! There’s a big chance there’s a neighbourhood with enough houses around it for the kin. It may just not be in the same spot.

Considering the Auction Halls
Both are already well-filled. With the growth of the population, expect that it’ll be even better. No need to worry.

Considering other Gilrainian kins
Here’s a list of what other kins will do. I will try to keep this as updated as I can.
    > Exiles of Arnor: Evernight
    > The Last Warders: Evernight
    > River of Tears: Evernight
    > Puliveivarit: Evernight
    > Beggers Banquet: Laurelin
    > The Elders: Laurelin
    > Omerta: Laurelin
    > Middle Earth Legion: Laurelin
    > Iluvatarian Knight: Laurelin
    > Unity: Laurelin
    > Riders on the Storm: Laurelin
    > Bane of the Fallen Night: Laurelin
    > Bounders Inc.: Laurelin
    > Tranquility: Laurelin
    > Defenders of Middle Earth: Laurelin
    > Legion of the Morning Star: split to Evernight and Laurelin
    > Order of Istari: Evernight
    > Exiles of Numenor: Laurelin

The rest have not announced their choice yet or are still in doubt.
More can be found here: https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread ... r-merger(s)

TL;DR version/summary
It seems a decision between avoiding trolls (Evernight) and avoiding name changes (Laurelin). We don’t know how the communities will change, so it’s hard to predict if Evernight will actually be that bad as it sometimes seems to be. It’s hard to tell how much of the RP-guidelines will be a problem for us.

Last edited by Carannar on Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:03 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:52 pm 

I will hopefully list some useful information concerning our transfers. I expect our transfers to open up no earlier than 31st of August.

Laurelin
An instruction on Role-playing; what to expect?
http://www.linawillow.org/home/2015/08/ ... -in-lotro/

Transfers
Closing world
https://www.lotro.com/en/game/articles/ ... nouncement

What to do with kinships?
https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread ... sfer-Guide

All about transfers
https://www.lotro.com/en/game/articles/world-transfers

Board index » Public